Thursday, March 25, 2010

How to Walk a Dog

Did you know dogs need to walk? I didn’t say “be walked.” I said walk.
Evidently this is what dogs and wolves do in the wild. The pack walks (or runs). The alpha wolves are in front.

Today the dog and I walked. I set the pace and told her to heel. Actually she was several feet back, but she kept up. I was the pack leader; she was the follower; we both got a good workout.

I had been "walking" her using the training collar. I very seldom had to tighten it, but when I had tried walking her without it, she would try to walk ahead and pull on the leash. The trick is, I think, is to set a steady pace; I walked, she followed. I broke a sweat and she was breathing hard.

I know she is overweight, but I really didn’t know how to help her. I didn't know how to do something as simple as walk the dog. Before, walks were me following her, and her scratching and sniffing. She walked me. Today I walked her.
Apparently fish swim, birds fly, and dogs walk. Without it, the world is a strange and frightening place for them.

After eight years, Ida Jane, I finally know what to do.

No comments: