Monday, January 4, 2010

I can't write twenty pages! Are you crazy?

Once writers start writing regularly, they need to do it. Yes, I said need. It’s sort of like coffee. The first few days you really miss that morning jolt of caffeine, but then coffee isn’t vital to your well-being.
I’m not sure why I need to write, but I do. While I was in Alabama during Christmas, I really missed my computer. Sometimes I’m on a plane, say, and I just have to write, so I look around for any paper. I wrote on the back of the barf bag once.
This writing is not brilliant prose. I just need to see my thoughts on the page.
I can always write, but I can’t always write a particular manuscript.

I have been trying to write twenty to forty pages (!) to submit as an application to Sewanee writers’ conference. Some people write long. Not me. I write short. I’ve got short bits about the 1830 Chickasaw Indian removal, the Civil War, finding a skeleton, getting a divorce, going to high school, being a janitor, belonging to a garden club, Confederate monuments, Volkswagen keys... But none of them are expandable. They are not expandable because I am sick of all of them. I have yet to create a character that really fascinates me and keeps my interest. If there are any characters wandering around loose out there, come on over.

No comments: