Thursday, January 28, 2010

Save Me from the Chickens

A couple of weeks ago the gardening column in the Thursday Post was about the joys of having chickens in one's back yard.
Then he said the laws in Montgomery County were so restrictive that one couldn't raise chickens within the county limits.
My response: Keep the laws as they are.
But, he would say, "That is guv'ment in ma business, interferin' with my rights!"
Government protects me from people like you. It is not your right to have chickens in your yard if they interfere with my right to the urban life I chose.
I am paying for a chicken-free neighborhood. I grew up with chickens, rabbits, and a goat next door, but my parents paid MUCH lower taxes than I do. If Russellville had any zoning laws, I don't know about it. I choose to live in Montgomery County and pay higher taxes so I won't have to live next to a farm.
If this guy is so sure the majority of us want to live next to chickens, let him call his county councilperson. When the bill to restrict chicken laws is discussed, I will be there with all my friends who LIKE urban living - who don't want roosters crowing at three a.m. -- who don't want hawks and coyotes coming to my neighborhood to see what's on the menu for lunch. (And it's not just chicken that's on their menu -- it's small dogs and cats.)
If you want to live without zoning laws, move - move AWAY from me - and have all the chickens or llamas or ostriches or water buffalo you want.

No comments: