Monday, December 21, 2009

Read This Book!

I am suffering from book envy – talent envy – word mastery envy. I’ve just finished reading Wally Lamb’s The Hour I First Believed.
How I wish I could write like that! I’m a good writer, but I am not in Wally Lamb’s class. I’m not fit take out his trash.
The book isn’t an easy read. I was so disgusted with the main character I just wanted Lamb to kill him off. But Lamb is a magician. He drew me into Caelem’s world, and I began to wish him well (but I still didn’t like him. I approved of his politics, though.)
I always read the acknowlegements. Lamb said the book took nine years to write, not hard to believe, considering the lengthy list of research sources in the back. The book concerns Colombine, the Civil War, prisons for women, Hurricane Katrina, and several other subjects I’m failing to mention. Just read the book.
The title makes no sense until the very end, but hold on. All will be explained. I’m sure the book will be a movie, but however good the movie is, the book is better.
Put this on your to-do list. Do it now. Read The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb.

No comments: